Registration of a Death
Under the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Act all deaths that occur in NSW must be registered within seven days of the burial or cremation service.
When making funeral arrangements, certain information is needed to register the death. In order to complete the documentation the funeral director, next of kin or relative of the deceased will need to know:
- Surname and first names
- Date and place of death
- Date and place of birth
- If not born in Australia period of residency
- Usual occupation during working life
- Marital status
- Maiden name
- Marriage particulars including place, age and full name of spouse
- Full names, dates of birth and age of children of the deceased living and deceased
- Full name of both parents including mother’s maiden name
- Occupation of both parents
- Burial or cremation details
- Once the death is registered, a certified copy of the Registration of Death can be obtained. This is necessary for the completion of any legal and financial matters.